Cradle Mountain: reverie

Tuesday November 10, 2009 

After yesterday's hard yakka I'm having a lay day at Cradle Mountain. I had a lazy lie-in, eventually rising to see Adam off, then wandered over to the cafe for breakfast and to catch the shuttle bus to Lake Dove.

I should have taken a picture of Adam - he had two huge panniers, a tent, and a sleeping bag, all over the back wheel, and was wearing an overstuffed backpack, with only a handlebar bag on the front. He reckoned he had too much gear, and I agreed, and suggested he mail some onward, or use the local bus service to forward some of his gear. But he was filled with the energy and enthusiasm of youth, and I think he will be OK. It's possible we'll meet up again in Strahan, as he is taking a little side trip on his way there.

I have been somewhat disappointed with my performance. My average speeds have been rather ordinary, and I've felt it necessary to ride conservatively. But yesterday I rode all the way out of Cethana Gorge. Yes, I had to mash the pedals very slowly in my lowest gear, but I didn't have to walk. So when strapping young Adam admitted that he walked most of the way I felt greatly encouraged.

It was a much cooler day today, with a little cloud, and it would have been much more pleasant for riding than the past few days. It was still quite warm however, and the 6 kilometre walk around Lake Dove helped stretch my stiff and sore legs.

I was back at the caravan park a little after midday, and stopping briefly at the kiosk to buy food for dinner, and today's and tomorrow's lunches, I settled back for a little siesta, before rising to write up my journal and perform a little bike maintenance; lube the chain and inflate the tyres, a quick check over - everything seems fine.

Cradle Mountain - Lake Dove...

Boatshed on Lake Dove...

Freeloaders enjoyed the walk, but decided the lake was too cold for swimming...

Lichen encrusts the shingles on the boatshed...

No comments: