Hobart to Triabunna: a road too far...


Tuesday October 27, 2009, 88 km (55 miles) - Total so far: 88 km (55 miles) 

Note: The recorded distance is a little short as my computer was reluctant to resume after stops. According to Google Maps it is 91.3 km.

My goal for today was the little east coast fishing hamlet of Triabunna. Actually the Giro Tasmania page recommends a short first day shakedown ride to Richmond, in the Coal Valley wine region. This charming village is certainly worthy of an afternoon's exploration, and the advice would have been well heeded, but at only 30 km from Hobart, I was keen to continue, and had my mind set on reaching Triabunna.

The selected route included three significant climbs, so I expected it to be a hard day, but I reasoned that I would never be fresher than on the first day.

The forecast was for a fine sunny day following a cool night, and after the showery weather of the past few days I was happy to have fine weather to start.

After a couple of idle days in Hobart, some inertia had set in, and I was hesitant, even a little reluctant, to get started. Eventually I got organised and went down to Salamanca Place for a photo with Abel Tasman, the island's namesake, then headed out of Hobart using the excellent intercity bikeway. After only a short distance I encountered a school group cycling near the Tasman Bridge, and their teacher fell in with me for a pleasant chat and gave me directions to the turnoff for Bowen Bridge and the eastern shore of the Derwent at Elwick.

Shortly after crossing to the eastern shore, I came to the first challenge of the day - Grasstree Hill. This obstacle had loomed large in my mind but proved not particularly difficult, and choosing an easy gear on the granny ring I soon found a good rhythm and crested the hill much more easily than anticipated. Descending the other side of the hill was rapid and exhilarating, and soon after I arrived in Richmond and had lunch at the bakery.

Leaving Richmond I took a minor road, ambling through vineyards, orchards, and market gardens, then rising gradually towards the next challenge - Black Charlie's Opening. By the time I reached the start of the climb it was past midday, and by now the sun was blazing down. I had to take shelter briefly under a shady tree by the roadside to cool off.

Edit: As I rode through the orchards, a red car slowed and waited for me to crest a small rise before overtaking. Then as the car passed, I heard the driver wishing me good luck. Hours later as I passed through the little seaside settlement of Orford, I heard a loud cheer "He made it!", and looking to the source, saw the red car in the front yard of a house, where there was a family barbecue in progress.

Eventually I crested the climb, and fending off a particularly aggressive and persistent magpie, enjoyed a tailwind of sorts all the way to the base of Bust Me Gall Hill, where it suddenly reversed and blew in my face. Not far up the hill I started to cramp, so I dismounted and walked for a few hundred metres before deciding that riding was easier than walking, and remounting, eventually ground my way to the top.

The descent of Break Me Neck Hill, into the teeth of what was by now a strong and cold headwind, still saw speeds approaching 55 kph, with logging trucks and cars passing close by. By the time I reach Buckland I had well and truly bonked, and had to take a fairly lengthy break. I briefly considered stopping overnight, but the facilities were not very inviting and I struggled on to Triabunna, around 20 kms further on.

I arrived at the caravan park just after 6 pm, sunburned, chilled and exhausted. I was greeted with a 'chapeau' from a french tourist who was at the park office. Too tired to pitch my tent, I rented a caravan. The park manager thoughtfully suggested a couple of beers, and after a hot shower and a cold beer I heated and ate one of my freeze-dried meals and soon after was fast asleep.

With the navigator, Abel Tasman, upon my departure...

Within sight of the CBD the first decision looms - Tasman Bridge, or in the distance, Grasstree Hill...
Convict bridge at Richmond...
Yes, I did...

No, I didn't...

No comments: