Westbury to Mole Creek: another lazyguy day...

Saturday November 7, 2009, 43 km (27 miles) - Total so far: 637 km (396 miles) 


I'm heading for Mole Creek, the gateway to the Great Western Tiers today. I've deliberately planned for shorter distances over the next few days, for tomorrow I must cross the Gog Range, and the next day it's the long descent to Lake Barrington and the Cethana Gorge, and the even longer climb out the other side and onward to Cradle Mountain in the central highlands. And there is still plenty more hard riding to follow as I progress down the west coast.

Another warm sunny day with easterly winds is forecast. I find the sun here quite fierce, and my arms and legs have tanned even darker than they normally do at home in sunny Queensland. It's got something to do with the thinness of the ozone layer, I'm told.

Well the camping at Westbury was not particularly pleasant, the grounds had just been mowed and there were clippings everywhere, I couldn't stop them from getting into everything. And the ground was surprisingly hard, such that I bent some of my tent pegs. Even thought it was relatively cool overnight, my sleeping bag is too warm, making it very difficult to regulate my body temperature so as not to wake up in a pool of sweat.

In the morning the tent was full of condensation - not so surprising as even my backpacker rooms have been having this problem, it must be some kind of climatic effect. It took ages to dry it out and get everything packed up, but eventually Cranky Franky was loaded and I went into Andy's for breakfast.

Westbury is a very charming place with a lovely village atmosphere, and a range of touristy things to see. The one thing I really wanted to see was a collection of early bicycles on display at the White House, but when I arrived the "For Sale" signs where up and nobody was in attendance. And despite being such a charming place I was not inspired to take any pictures - after seeing so much it becomes commonplace.

Shortly after leaving I encountered a fellow tourist (Robert, from Germany), only the second I've met so far. Robert is on a one year world tour and had arrived in Tasmania by ferry only the day before, after spending a few days in Melbourne. He arrived from the US and is heading for New Zealand next, and like me, wants to tackle the east coast first, so he is going the opposite way.

I soon arrived at Deloraine, a rather busy town with an alternative lifestyle atmosphere, and lingered in the delightful Deloraine Deli drinking cappuccinos and checking accommodation options for Mole Creek. I was very concerned what I might find here. But eventually I pushed off a little after midday.

Today the riding has been through what is some of the best agricultural land in Australia, and all watched over by the Great Western Tiers, looming closer and closer as I progressed.

Reaching Mole Creek I took a room at the Mole Creek Hotel and was delighted to find it a very clean and comfortable country pub, with a secure place to store my bike. I would highly recommend this hotel to any fellow tourist.

Deloraine is most picturesque..

The Great Western Tiers loom over Mole Creek. Some remnant snow drifts still lie on the tops...

No comments: